Residence Hall Policies and Procedures | Spalding University Student Handbook

Residence Hall Policies and Procedures

Accommodations, Spalding Suites 

Residents of Spalding Suites residence hall (Suites) approved through Accessibility Services for a single room accommodation may self-select into an available single-bed room (a bedroom with one bed only and not housing a roommate, “single”) within a suite corresponding with their gender identity.  If a single is not available, the student has three options:

  1. Remain in their current housing assignment
  2. Self-select into an empty double-bed room (a bedroom with another bed for a roommate, “double”) with the possibility of receiving a roommate while waiting for a single to become available 
  3. Choose to be relocated to Morrison Hall and live in a single room if a Suites single room is not available

All single room requests where a student has self-selected to be placed temporarily in a double or Morrison Hall understands Residence Life retains the right to relocate the student if and when a single room becomes available.  Any student approved for a single room will not be financially penalized and will pay the double room rate and not the higher single room rate.


Returning student housing applications open in mid-February.  First-year student housing applications open in mid-January.  The Housing application serves as the contract for the Academic year (Sessions 1-6). Students must be registered for classes full-time by the Friday before the semester begins to live in campus housing.  Similarly, students must fulfill payment obligations by move-in day, or the Friday before the semester begins - whichever comes first.    Failure to register full-time for classes or fulfilling financial obligations forfeits a right to move on campus or requires the student to move off campus.

Returning Student Housing application submissions are due April 1st.   If students submit the housing form after this date, they will not receive priority or their preferred assignments. Students who apply after Move-in or after Session 1 has begun must wait three business days for Residence Life to process and provide a housing assignment to begin at the next session break. If this processing period occurs while school is in session, the student holds responsibility for finding alternative housing while waiting to receive a housing assignment.

Students receive housing assignments on May 1. To move on campus at the start of the school's Move-In Day in August, students must submit a housing form by August 1.  For move-in during the academic year, students must submit the housing form two weeks before the Session starts. 

Assistance Animal Policy (ESA or Service Animals)

A Service Animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the person’s disability. Service Animals will be permitted to accompany people with disabilities in all areas of the universities facilities.

An Emotional Support Animal (ESA) is an animal that provides emotional or other support that ameliorates one or more identified symptoms or effects of a person’s disability. Unlike service animals, support animals are not required to be trained to perform work or tasks, and they include species other than dogs. According to the Fair Housing Act (FHA) a person with a documented disability is permitted to have an Emotional Support Animal in their individual dwelling when a professional health care provider has deemed it necessary for the individual's emotional well-being.

For more information on the differences between a service and an emotional support animal, procedures for obtaining approval to use such animals, owner responsibilities, and Spalding’s Community expectations, please read carefully the Spalding University Service/ESA Policy.

For a better understanding of Service Animals and ESA's, review the ADA National Network Service Animals Booklet.

Reference the Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity's Animal Policy to learn more.  The Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity receives, approves, and denies ESA or Service Animal requests.  Email for guidance.


Bicycles are to be kept locked in the outdoor bicycle rack located in the courtyard area of Morrison Hall or Spalding Suites.  Bicycles are not permitted to be stored in lounges, hallways, or other community areas unless given permission by Residence Life.  Bikes may be stored in the stairwell bike rack in Spalding Suites, but they must be kept locked up and cannot block emergency exits. 

The University assumes no responsibility for bicycles that are stolen, lost, or damaged while on University property. Bicycles that are found in unauthorized areas will be removed.  If a lock must be cut to remove the bicycle, the student assumes responsibility for its replacement.


Break Periods (Winter and Summer)

During university breaks (Winter and Summer) students must apply with Residence Life to remain on campus. Residence Life will provide an application about six weeks ahead of each scheduled break. Summer Break occurs during Session 7 of the academic year calendar.

The Housing application for the school year does not cover Winter and Summer Breaks. The Winter Break application opens in Session 2. The Summer Break application opens in Session 5.

Winter Break Housing pertains to students who lived on campus during Session 3 only. Be advised Spalding closes during Winter Break. Therefore, our dining and other university services are not offered. Winter Break housing is limited to students that:

  • Need to work during the break and have a home address that is at least 60 miles away from campus.
  • Mandatory Spalding athletics commitment
  • Unique home circumstance
  • Other mandatory Spalding commitment


Students required to be on campus for a university purpose do not need to pay for Winter Break Housing. All other students will pay $540 in total. This amount is non-negotiable and will be charged for the entirety of the break period from Friday, December 5th, following Move-Out through January 1.

Summer Break pertains to those who lived on campus during Session 6 only. University dining functions on a limited schedule during Summer Break. During this period, students may be required to switch rooms. This process supports any deferred maintenance or cleaning required for the next academic year. Summer Break Housing is limited only to those:

  • Students who are enrolled during session 7
  • Need to work during the break and have a home address that is at least 60 miles away from campus.


Students staying on campus during Summer Break are charged $1200 total. This amount is non-negotiable and will be charged for the entirety of the break period.

Winter and Summer Break residents found responsible for violating the Student Handbook's policy once will be removed from campus housing for the break period, depending on the nature of the violation you may also have your Fall Housing Revoked.

Before leaving for any break during the academic year, we ask that students do the following:

  • Unplug electrical appliances.
  • Remove all garbage and trash and place them in the outside dumpster.
  • Close and lock all windows and blinds.
  • Remove all necessary personal items. Once students leave for break, they will not be permitted to re-enter the building.

In addition, students who stay beyond the required check-out time will be charged $50.00 per half hour after the required check-out time has passed. For example, if the check-out time is 5:00 pm and you stay until 6:00 pm you will be charged $100.  Personal items left behind after check-out check-outs end time will be donated or discarded.  Damages will be assessed at the time of checkout and fines will be determined the following week.

Students do not need to move out completely for Winter Break. Students DO NOT need to surrender keys during Winter break. 

Brief Motivational Conversations

First-year and second-year residents attend brief motivational conversations (BMCs) with their RAs three times a year.  These one-on-one meetings will last 15-20 minutes and provide each student with individualized time with their RA.  Completing provides next academic year's housing registration prioirity.  

Check-In Procedures

  • Retrieve your move in packet from the the location communicated by Residence Life staff.  The packet contains your key, WIFI username and password, and other pertinent information.
  • Complete your room condition form (RCF) with your RA. Your RA will review any issues about the room with you and will mark that on your RCF. If you notice any damages that were unmarked on your RCF, please bring them to your RA’s attention immediately to avoid charges.

Check-Out Procedures

Students may check out of their assigned room to move off campus through a traditional or express process.  Failure to honor this procedure results in a $100.00 Improper checkout fee.

  • Sign up for a check-out time with an RA at least 48 hours in advance, regardless of the time within the academic year.
  • Remove all belongings from the bedroom and common rooms. Any belongings left behind will be thrown away or donated.
  • Remove all posters, tape, Command strips, etc. from walls.
  • Clean your suite to “broom-clean” standards (dust, wipe down surfaces, sweep, vacuum).
  • Take all trash to the dumpsters.
  • Complete check-out with an RA or a Res Life Staff Member.
  • Turn in keys
  • Check mailbox and forward mail with Fusion Center


Failure to properly complete either a checkout, in part or whole, results in an improper checkout fee of $100.00. Failure to return keys by midnight of the day you move out will result in a $25.00 per key replacement fee. All fees are added to the resident's student account.

In addition, students who stay beyond the required check-out time will be charged $50.00 per half hour after the required check-out time has passed. For example, if the check-out time is 6:00 pm (not on Move-Out Day) and you stay until 7:00 pm you will be charged $100.00.  Personal items left behind after check-outs end time will be donated or discarded.  Damages will not be assessed at the time of checkout and fines will be determined the following week.

Common Area Space

Bathrooms, lounges, recreation rooms, kitchens, computer labs, and hallways are shared by many residents. Please remember that tidiness and consideration are of great importance. No personal property may be stored in a public area (lobby, lounge, hallway, bathrooms, etc.).

Any damage that is the result of accidental or deliberate actions of an individual or group is the responsibility of the person(s). Every attempt will be made to identify the individual(s) responsible for the damage. These individuals will be charged with the cost of the damage in addition to other appropriate sanctions determined.  However, when deliberate or accidental damage is not assigned to an individual or group, all residents of that living unit or section or floor will share equal responsibility for the repair costs and common area damage charges will be assessed to the student(s) account.  

All furnishings of common space are assigned to specific areas of the residence hall and are to remain in their assigned areas. Moving of furnishings from one public area to another public area or to an individual’s room is considered damage to the residence hall.

Students and/or guests are not permitted to sleep in public areas (lounges, lobbies, hallways, etc.).

Maintain social distancing in common area space.

Community Building

Throughout the year, Res Life will host community programs. Residents are expected to be active members of the residential community and attend on-campus programs.  Attendance at programs is one factor that is considered when students choose their room assignments for the following year.

Computer Use

The computer labs offer internet access, productivity software, and printing services. Residents are not able to save documents to the computers in the lab, but should bring portable storage devices (flash drive or other storage). In accordance with university guidelines, please note that Spalding University maintains a Computer Acceptable Use Policy. Students are responsible for reading and being informed of this policy. The policies listed below apply specifically to the use of computers in the residence halls. Any violation of these policies is grounds for having network access removed from your room and/or lab privileges revoked.

  1. Installing additional hubs in your room/apartment.
  2. Accessing another student's computer without permission.
  3. Installing software on a lab computer.
  4. Saving files to the hard drive of a lab computer.
  5. Deleting or disabling software on a lab computer.

In addition, students needing to complete coursework in the labs have priority over e-mail, recreational Web browsing, or game playing.

(There is an E-Sports Gaming room in the Library) 


Consolidating Rooms

There may be times throughout the year when resident occupancy is low. During these times, the University reserves the right to move students to another room or to consolidate the population to a specific floor or suite.  Consolidation does not occur until Session One, Week three.


It is the expectation of Residence Life that the condition of rooms and suites upon checkout is the same as when residents moved in. Health and Safety Inspections will be conducted by RAs and Campus Safety during week 5 of each session to ensure all guidelines are being followed. Damage caused by the decorations or cleanliness concerns will be documented on the Room Condition Form upon checkout by the RA and residents will be fined accordingly to cover the damage repair costs.
Decoration Dos & Don’ts:

  • Use only 3M Command Adhesive Removable Mounting Products, painter's tape, or Scotch Removable Mounting Putty to decorate walls.
  • No tape of any kind on ceilings OR floors.
  • Lift furniture to move – do not drag.
  • Check to make sure furniture will not scrape or rub walls.
  • Fire alarm pull stations, fire extinguisher cabinets, smoke detectors, sprinkler heads and exit signs cannot be covered and exits cannot be blocked.
  • Decorations, unless nonflammable, cannot be used to cover entire hallway areas, walls, or doors due to the fire hazard these decorations present. Some portion ofthe hallway, wall or door must be left uncovered.
  • Decorations cannot be hung from the ceilings. Ceiling tiles cannot be moved or removed. (Nothing should be hung from the metal frame around the ceiling tiles.)
  • Any supplemental lighting such as holiday lights or lights on a string must be UL approved and low wattage. No more than 4 strings of lights per room.
  • Light bulbs in permanent fixtures cannot be removed and replaced with colored lights.
  • Light fixtures cannot be covered with any material.
  • No painting of any wall or surface.

Students are free to rearrange furniture in their rooms but are not permitted to remove beds, desks, or chairs out of their room or suite. Additionally, students are not permitted to move public/community furniture into their rooms/suites. Furniture shall not be placed so that it blocks the entrance to the room. It should be arranged such that the door opens freely to the extent that it is perpendicular to the doorway. 

Furnishings (beds, chairs, etc.) must be returned to their original placement within the room prior to checkout.
Ceiling tiles, grids, and fire suppression devices (smoke detectors & sprinklers) are not to be disturbed. Students who cause damage to ceiling tiles, grids, or fire suppression devices will pay for the damage they inflict. This includes any water damage caused by tampering of the sprinkler system. 

Students will be fined $50 and put on probation for tampering/damaging room furniture and safety equipment. Students who remove furniture from their room will be subject to a $50 fine in addition to charges to replace missing furniture.

Eagle Card (Student ID)

This policy goes into effect Monday, April 25

All Spalding University students, and guests living in campus housing, are required to have a valid Spalding Eagle Card (ID card). Students should carry their Eagle Card with them at all times on campus and to submit their ID card to any university official upon request. The Eagle Card is needed to purchase meals with the university meal plan through Campus Dining. Each student’s picture must be on the Eagle Card. Lost Eagle Cards must be reported to Residence Life. Contact your RA, or email to report this information.  

Residents cannot allow anyone else to use an Eagle Card to access a residence hall. Failure honoring this policy results in the student undergoing the student conduct process.


Residence Life's Mission and Guiding Principle guides our work promoting student success.  Coupled with the staff's intent for the time of year or project at hand and the Residence Life Handbook, RAs use these documents and directives as our guide making decisions that we deem right.

Exemption Policy

Students may request a housing exemption within the following circumstances:

- Residing with a local parent(s)/legal guardian at a mailing address within 60 miles of Spalding's mailing address.

- Financial hardship in that the student cannot afford campus housing.

- Documented medical condition in which living on campus would affect a student’s health negatively. 

- Married legally, Spalding does not provide housing for married couples.

- Dependent(s) (e.g., children), Spalding cannot accommodate children with campus housing.

While students 21-years of age are exempt from campus housing, students may live on campus up to 25-years of age. Students older that 25-years of age cannot live on campus.

Financial hardship means that paying for campus housing would create a financial barrier to paying for tuition and fees and would require the student to leave the University. Cost savings is not a valid request for financial hardship.  Rather, a financial hardship exemption should explain how paying for campus housing would create a barrier to paying for tuition and fees and would require you to leave the University.

How to Submit fan Exemption

Visit the Student Housing Exemption page to submit an exemption.


Students may appeal the decision based upon these circumstances:

  • Presence of new documentation 
  • Further explanation of situation
  • Other extenuating circumstance

Per the Student Handbook’s “Procedures for Student Complaints and Grievances, Administrative Issues” the student must present a written appeal within 15 business days of receiving the decision.  The Director of Residence Life receives the appeal, and the appeal may be sent to  All appeals must be made in writing.  Spalding’s complaint procedure for administrative issues may be found at             

Exits & Entrances to the Residence Hall

All entries and non-emergency exits must be made through the main entrance door of the residence halls. Swipe your Spalding ID card to gain access to the building.  All guests are to be brought through the front entrance and signed in at the Front desk.  Residents are not to use emergency exits except in the event of an emergency. Any resident misusing these exits or allowing the unauthorized entry of residents or non-residents will be subject to disciplinary action by the University. Students found using these exits to gain access for an unauthorized guest will be fined $100.00, lose visitation privileges, and will be placed on probation.

Windows are not to be utilized for building access. As part of evening security checks, the security officers on campus will inspect lower-level windows. This inspection is to ensure the safety and protection of all of our residents. Students found using lower-level windows to allow unauthorized guests into the building will be fined $100, lose visitation privileges, and will be placed on probation, and may have housing privileges revoked, and potential eviction from Housing.


Fines result from damaging or defacing univesity property or improper checkouts or losing university items.  It also results from sanctioning from the student conduct process.  Damage or uncleanliness affecting a room and requiring added work requires the student paying for that work.  Facilities or Housekeeping will assess the cost, provide to Residence Life, and the cost will be charged to the student's account.

Furniture Arrangement

See the Decorations section, Paragraph 2.

Hall Use

Hallways, lobbies, and lounges are not be used as recreational areas unless sanctioned by the RA as an approved group activity. Any hall sport can be dangerous, and may result in physical injury and/or damage to residence hall property.  The resulting noise and obstruction from such activity may also negatively impact the community.  Students are responsible for any damages they cause in the residence hall and will be subject to fines. 

Health and Safety Inspections

During the fourth week of every session, Res Life staff will enter each resident’s room to ensure cleanliness and adherence to policy/fire code.  Inspection days will not be announced in advance.  Each resident receives an inspection summary.

If RAs provide items to the resident on what should be corrected, all changes must be made within 48 hours.  The RA will visit the room within the designated time and inspect the item(s) needing change.  If the requested changes are not made by the student, a $50.00 fee will be charged to the resident’s student account. RAs will rate the room or suite as "Excellent, Fair, or Poor."  Students receiving "Excellent" inspections will gain points toward priority housing selection for the next academic year. Room Inspections may lead to a room search.  See the "Room Entry and Search" section for details.

Housing Selection

Returning student housing selection for the following academic year begins in mid-February.  Returning students receive housing assignments in mid-May. If any student submits the housing application after the deadline, they may not receive priority based on their preference.

Incident Reports

An Incident Report is the means by which an R.or other staff member, in collaboration with Campus Safety, will document violations to the Student Handbook.  The student receives written notice of alleged violations to the student's Spalding email account.  This notice also includes the meeting's date, time, a list of student rights and responsibilities, and further details within the Student Handbook.


Insurance of Personal Property

Residents are encouraged to purchase appropriate insurance to cover losses. Please note that if your parents are guardians who own their home your personal property may also be covered by your homeowner's insurance.


At check-in, Residence Life issues each resident a key, or keys, to access the assigned room.  Spalding Suites residents will receive one key for their bedroom and one for their suite door.  Residents may not create duplicate room keys and should not lend their keys or exchange their keys with others.  All room keys issued to residents must be returned at checkout.  Failure to honor this policy results in the student undergoing the student conduct process.

Loss of a room key should be reported immediately to Residence Life.  Contact your RA, or email to report this information.  A charge of $25.00 per key is charged to each student's account for a key replacement.  Should a resident lose a key a second time, the resident might pay to have the room lock replaced and re-keyed to protect the safety and security of the building (cost will be determined, when necessary).  Failure to return room keys will result in a $25.00 fee per key.

Each student receives three free lockouts to access their residence hall room or suite per academic year. After the third lockout, Spalding will charge $25.00 to that student’s account for each lockout request.  Spalding University encourages residents to keep room doors locked at all times. 

Missing Student Policy

In compliance with the Missing Student Notification Policy and Procedures 20 USC 1092 C; (Section 488 of the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008), it is the policy of Student Development & Campus Life and Residence Life to investigate any report of a missing student who is enrolled at the University as either a full or part-time student. Each resident will be notified of the missing students’ policy and procedures in the event that he/she/they are reported missing.  

Each resident upon completing his/her/their Housing Preference Form is required to provide an emergency contact name and phone number.  This individual is to be contacted in case of an emergency.  This includes in the event of the resident reported missing for a period of 24 hours. For any resident under the age of 18, and not an emancipated individual, the institution is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian no later than 24 hours after the time that the resident is determined to be missing by Campus Safety and University staff. 

If a member of the University community has reason to believe that a student is missing, all efforts will be made to locate the student to determine his/her/their state of health and well-being.  These efforts include, but are not limited to, checking the resident’s room, class schedule, friends, ID card access, contacting Public Safety, locating the resident’s vehicle, and calling cell phone number. 

If upon investigation by Campus Safety and Residence Life Staff, the resident is determined missing for at least 24 hours, the Dean of Students will contact the resident’s designated emergency contact or custodial parent or legal guardian.  If under the age of 18, or the student has failed to designate an emergency contact, Campus Safety will continue to investigate utilizing established police investigative procedures and in collaboration with staff from Student Development & Campus Life and Residence Life. Campus Safety will also co-ordinate its efforts with outside law enforcement agencies in full compliance with legal obligations and good police practice.


"Notices" outlined in the Residence Life Handbook refer to a written email to the student's Spalding email account.


Painting Spalding property is not permitted. 


Students are not permitted to have pets, with the exception of fish in a five gallon tank or less. Tanks must be no more than five gallons per room (i.e., roommates can have a total of five gallons). Residents are only permitted to have non-lethal fish or other small aquatic creatures (i.e., snails) that cannot survive outside oftheir tank. Crabs, turtles, lizards, frogs, toads, snakes, and spiders are not permitted.

Pets cannot visit the residence halls.

See the Residence Life Handbook's "Assistance Animal Policy" for Emotional Suport Animals (ESA) or Service Animals requets.

Personal Property in Public Spaces

Residents are responsible for personal property left in public areas of the residence halls. These areas include rest rooms and showers, hallways, lounge and recreation areas, kitchens and the laundry rooms. Any personal property left in the public areas will be disposed of immediately.  Personal property that is left behind once a student moves out of the residence hall will be discarded immediately, and the resident may be subject to fines and loss of deposit for cleaning purposes.

Physical Contact/Use of Force

Physical contact/use of force against any person will not be tolerated.  Residents, students, employees, and guests of the University are entitled to be free of intimidation, fear, or the threat of physical contact or the use of force, including unwanted contact of a sexual nature. Violations of this policy will result in a $50 fine in addition to charges from any damages caused by a resident. The student may go before the honor board on the first offense and may be subject to eviction from the residence hall or criminal prosecution. Other penalties will be determined by the Residence Life Coordinator and may include permanent loss of visitation and other privileges.

Posting Signs and Notices

Signs and notices may be posted on hall or lobby bulletin boards only. Students may not post signs on walls or windows. Glass surfaces (windows, entrance doors), and painted surfaces are not to be used for posting signs and notices.

Residence Life staff will remove all improperly posted notices and signs. Individuals posting signs or notices are responsible for their content and may not post signs or notices that are objectionable in nature or not in keeping with Spalding University standards and expectations.

Students found positing objectionable or obscene materials or posting signs on surfaces other than message board spaces will undergo the student conduct process.

Prohibited and Restricted Items

For health, safety, and insurance liability reasons, residents are prohibited from possessing the following items either in their rooms or on their person:

  • Aquariums larger than 5 gallons
  • Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs/drug paraphernalia.  Note: Includes prescription medications that are not prescribed to the student
  • Antennas or wires extending outside room windows or doorways
  • Fire/open flame materials, or high-heat producing devices, including, but not limited to, lit candles, incense, incense burners, oil lamps, halogen lights and lamps, camping stoves, charcoal grills, and sunlamps
  • Firearms, ammunitions, or other weapons
  • Fireworks
  • Flammable liquids and other similar materials
  • Miniature dishwashers
  • Miniature laundry machines
  • Open-coiled appliances and hot plates
  • Refrigerators larger than 4.1 cubic feet
  • Space heaters
  • Stolen campus property, including community furniture
  • Waterbeds

Propping Doors

Residents decide if and how they wish to prop open room or suite doors. Doors will be unpropped by RAs during Quiet Hours if noise is at an unacceptable level. No entry or exit doors may be propped by residents at any time.  The propping of exit/entry doors without permission will result in a Conduct Meeting through the student conduct process.    

Quiet Hours

Sunday through Wednesday quiet hours begin at 11:00 pm and end at 9:00 am.  Thursday through Saturday quiet hours begin at midnight and end at 10:00 am.  Quiet is defined as no yelling, shouting, loud talking, or other loud activity heard from the hallways. Electronic noise should be played only with doors closed and quietly enough that the sound does not disturb others in adjoining rooms. Use conversational tones in rooms so that voices are not heard in surrounding rooms.

Courtesy hours are always in effect.  

During Week Six of each Session, 24-hour quiet hours is maintained and expected of all residents. Quiet designations may be modified for other special periods. Residents and RAs will be notified when modifications occur.

Refund Policy

After the end of the first two weeks of the semester, the Housing Preference Form (Contract) is binding and the housing cost is non-refundable. Students are financially obligated for the entire semester, with the exception of students who have completed their academic requirements and are eligible to graduate or who are participating in a Spalding study abroad program.


Residency Requirement and Policy

Residence Life believes that student learning and personal development strengthen when students live on campus. Therefore, all full-time undergraduate students under the age of 23 (by August 1 for the fall semester and February 1 for the spring semester), or with fewer than 89 credit hours are required to live in the residence halls. Students older than 23 years of age cannot live on campus.

 Students may receive an exemption for one of the following reasons:

  • Residing with local parent(s)/legal guardian within 60 miles from the campus mailing address.
  • Financial hardship in that the student cannot afford campus housing. *
  • Documented medical conditions in which living on campus would affect a student’s health negatively.
  • Married legally, Spalding does not provide housing for married couples.
  • Dependent(s) (e.g., children), Spalding cannot accommodate children with campus housing.
How to Submit an Exemption

Visit the Student Housing Exemption page to submit an exemption.


Students may appeal the decision based on these circumstances:

  • Presence of new documentation
  • Further explanation of the situation
  • Other extenuating circumstance

Per the Student Handbook’s “Procedures for Student Complaints and Grievances, Administrative Issues” the student must present a written appeal within 15 business days of receiving the decision.  The Director of Residence Life receives the appeal, and the appeal may be sent to  All appeals must be made in writing.  Spalding’s complaint procedure for administrative issues may be found at

Students must be registered full-time for classes and have no outstanding balance before moving into campus housing. If a student drops from full-time to part-time during the semester, that student must get registered full-time for classes within five business days.  If the student does not register full-time within that period then, the student needs to move off campus. 

Students who do not fulfill the registration and payment requirement for on-campus living are still financially responsible to fulfill the terms of their housing contract.

 * Financial hardship means that paying for campus housing would create a financial barrier to paying for tuition and fees and would require the student to leave the University. Cost savings is not a valid request for financial hardship.  Rather, a financial hardship exemption should explain how paying for campus housing would create a barrier to paying for tuition and fees and would require you to leave the University.

Resident Assistants

Spalding's Resident Assistants (RAs) serve as students, administrators, educators, counselors, and role models supporting a student's living and learning environment.  Said another way, RAs foster academic success and social connections toward supporting student success.  As a result, our RAs support Spaldng's aims teaching, retaining, and graduating students.  Each residence hall has RAs and we seek a 35:1 student to RA ratio.

The RA position requires a 15-hour per week commitment, with time periods that may or may not exceed this average. The RA commitment begins in early August and continues until move out in June.  At least one RA remains on campus Session 7.

Minimum Requirements:
  • Must be a full-time undergraduate student at SU.
  • Connect well with others and take direction from supervisor(s)
  • Maintain good academic standing at SU must be demonstrated upon application and maintained throughout appointment. This means that Resident Assistants must have, and maintain, at the beginning and throughout the appointment, the following:
  • A cumulative grade point average of 2.5
  • A semester grade point average of 2.5
Preferred Requirements:
  • Hold at least one semester's experience living on campus.
  • Take responsibility and initiative
  • Housing and a meal plan for the academic year (Sessions 1 - 6) provided.

Previous policy violations do not exclude applicants from applying for an RA position. However, they will be taken into consideration when making hiring decisions.

The Residence Hall Coordinator supervises RAs.

Addressing Policy Violations

RAs address policy violations through the Resident Assistant Handbook's operating procedure.  This involves addressing a policy violation alone or requesting another RA or Campus Safety to assist addressing the incident.  Campus Safety or the RA will write an Incident Report and the Dean of Students, Director of Residence Life, or designee will hold a Developmental Conduct Meeting addressing the Incident Report. 

Room Care Guidelines

Certain guidelines and standards concerning room care and safety aspects have been established by Residence Life. Be sure to read this section as you are responsible for the following information:

  1. Do not to stack furniture that is not meant to be stacked. Students have been seriously injured and furniture damaged.
  2. Do not disassemble any furnishings, or remove items from their moorings (such as closet doors, sinks, beds, etc.).
  3. Residents are encouraged to sign up at their respective building’s help desk to get their bed bunked or lofted.
  4. Residents are responsible for all of the furniture that is currently in their room/suite. Under no circumstance will Residence Life remove and/or store any furniture from the facilities.
  5. Lounge and lobby furniture is meant to be enjoyed by the residence hall community as a whole, and should not be moved into student rooms. Violators face disciplinary action, a charge for removal of the furniture, or both.
  6. Waterbeds or other water filled furniture is not allowed.
  7. Exercise caution in the decoration of room windows, as the University has a role of service to many “publics.” We reserve the right to ask you to remove from public view any signs or objects deemed offensive to others or prejudicial to the overall goals of the University.
  8. At the time of check-out students are expected to leave their rooms in the same condition as when they moved in.

Room Change Procedures

Sometimes, conflicts cannot be resolved and personalities do not mesh as well as expected. Students will not be released from their housing requirement in the case of a roommate conflict, but a room transfer process does exist.  If a student decides he/she/they would benefit from a room switch, the student must follow this process.

Steps to Request a Room Change
  1. Talk to your roommate(s). When roommate conflicts occur, students are expected to have made reasonable efforts to resolve the conflict before switching rooms. Or, students should have a reasonable reason to switch rooms (e.g., to live with a friend).  Wanting to switch rooms require you to speak to your roommate(s) directly.  Discuss the roommate agreement established and what prevents this agreement's fulfillment.  Or, discuss the reason for wanting to switch rooms.
  2. Talk to your RA.  Discuss with your RA the conversation held with your roommate(s).  The RA will share the request with Residence Life staff.  After that, the RA or Residence Life will communicate next steps to the student.  Under the supervision of Residence Life staff, the RA may require a roommate mediation to occur among the roommates and the RA.  Residence Life staff may assist as well.
  3. Submit a request. Under the direction of the RA or Residence Life staff the student will be directed to submit a request to switch rooms.  The RA or Residence Life Operations Coordinator will provide directions on how to submit a room change request.  The RLOC reserves the right to deny the request and ask for further efforts to be made.
Room Change Information
  • Room changes are made based on capacity. Sometimes, switches can be made within a week of the formal request. Other requests may take longer depending on availability.
  • Pricing. Students will not be moved to a higher cost room unless they have specifically requested to do so or if no other options exist. If this occur, students will be notified in advance of the cost difference.
  • Room checkouts. When room switches occur, students are checking out of one room and into another. Students are expected to complete a checkout with their RA and will need to complete a Room Condition Form for their new room with the associated RA.
  • Room changes are not permitted on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or political orientation. Unauthorized room changes outside of Residence Life policies will result in the student(s) involved being charged $100 for an improper room change, plus possibly moving back to his/her/their old space.

If a Suites resident wishes acquiring a Spalding Suites G-room, it must meet this criteria per Residence Life's discretion:

  • If occupancy remains low after Session 1 students have the option of moving to a G-room.
  • If the G-room is empty, residents must move in with a roommate.  
  • If two students are living in the room and one student moves out, the remaining student holds three options: (1) Remain in room and be open to a roommate, (2) move out of the room and consolidated to another bedroom, or (3) have the room to oneself by paying the cost of the available bed at $1,300 per semester.  If the buyout occurs during the semester the charge will be prorated.

Once Residence Life provides room assignments, room change requests will be denied until the academic year or session begins.  We ask that each student lives in the assigned room through Week 1.  If, at the end of Week 1, the student still wishes to move rooms, the student may follow the above "Steps to Request a Room Change."

Students who switch rooms without following this procedure will receive a $100.00 fine.  Students who open empty rooms for a guest and allow that person to sleep in that empty room violate our room change procedure.  The student committing this action will receive a $50.00 fee.


Room Condition & Resident Responsibilities

Residents are responsible for the neatness and cleanliness of their rooms and for the proper use of room furnishings in the rooms they occupy.

Residents may not deface the walls, floors, ceilings, or other surface areas of the rooms they occupy.  Residents may decorate their rooms according to personal tastes, providing that doing so does not cause permanent damage or alteration to the room itself or its furnishings.  Drilling or nailing into the walls, ceiling or furniture is prohibited.  All decorations (posters, photographs, etc.) should be mounted in a manner so as not to deface walls, doors, or other surfaces. All posters should be mounted in such a way so that they may be removed easily.  Carpeting may not be permanently affixed to room floors by gluing or tape.  Permanent damage to any room will be the financial responsibility of the resident.  Approved mounting products include 3M damage-free removable mounting devices and removable adhesive putty.  

Room Entry and Search

When the University seeks access to a resident’s room to determine compliance with policies or maintenance the resident will receive 24-hours' notice to the assigned Spalding email address.  At minimum, students receive 12-hours' notice.  There may be entry without notice in emergencies or when imminent danger to safety, or property is reasonably feared.  

To enter a student's room RAs, Residence Life staff, Campus Safety, Student Afairs, Facilities, Housekeeping, or IT will knock and announce the department's name.  After waiting for 10 seconds, RAs or staff will knock and announce the department's name again.  After another 10 seconds of waiting, and if no one responds, RAs or staff will say "entering room" and open the door and enter the room.  RAs or staff have the right to enter a resident’s room, at any time, when requests to open the door have been ignored or denied.

Health and Safety Inspections occur Week 5 of each Session.  RAs and Campus Safety staff enter rooms to maintain the health and safety of residents and the facility.

The University may conduct a search of a resident’s room to determine compliance with local ordinances, state and federal law, and the Student Handbook's policies.  A room search occurs when there exists probable cause to suspect that a violation has occurred or is taking place.  Probable cause exists when the facts and circumstances within the knowledge of the University are sufficient to cause a person of reasonable caution to believe that an offense has been or is being committed.   Room searches devolve from a Plain View Doctrine principle.  

If staff or RAs feel a need to search a student's room, Residence LIfe and Campus Safety will conduct that procedure jointly.  RAs do not search student rooms.  Campus Safety officers perform that task.

Residence Life may consult with the on-call staff to determine if a room should be searched.  If the situation requires further consultation, the on-call staff will call the Director of Campus Safety and both staff will determine to search or not search a student's room.  If a room is searched, Residence Life will inform the student in writing to the student's Spalding email account and detail the outcome.

Room searches involve opening drawers, closets, refrigerators, cabinets, and the like looking for restricted or probitied items. If found, RAs file an Incident Report, discard items, or provide to Campus Safety.  The student alleged for violating policy will receive notice to his/her/their Spalding email account of a Devleopmental Conduct Meeting with Residence Life staff or the Dean of Students.

Smoking/Tobacco Use

In keeping with Spalding’s intent to provide a safe and healthy learning environment, smoking of any kind and tobacco use are not permitted in any University building, on the campus property, or in University-owned vehicles. Tobacco may be used in individual’s own personal vehicles. Tobacco products means all forms of tobacco including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, water pipes (hookahs), electronic cigarettes, and smokeless tobacco products.  

The smoking of any substance is prohibitied on university property including vehicles and off campus events.  This policy applies to all individuals including but not limited to faculty, staff, students, volunteers, patients, customers, contractors, and visitors to the campus.

Solicitation/Commercial Activity

No solicitors, sales persons, or agents, whether students or others, are permitted to personally contact students in the residence halls for commercial purposes.   Door-to-door solicitation is prohibited.  Additionally, students are not allowed to use their rooms for commercial purposes.

Verbal Abuse/Assault

Verbal abuse includes name calling or making degrading, insulting, or prejudice statements towards another individual.  Making false allegations against other students, Residence Life staff, or other staff/faculty members is also considered verbal abuse.  Verbal assault includes making threats against another individual including threats of harm, terror, or intimidation. 

Visitation and Guest Policy

Adults older than 25 years old and children younger than 18 years old cannot stay the night in campus housing.

Residents are allowed to have guests visit our halls within a 24-hour visitation timeline. Residential students must escort guests. Residents are allowed two guests at a time. Roommate Agreements dictate visitation and guest guidelines for each room and for each suite. Residents visiting after 11:00 p.m. will be required to sign in the guest log at the front desk. In addition, guests who arrive before 11:00 p.m. and stay past 11:00 p.m. (e.g., arrived at 8:00 p.m., but plan to spend the night) are required to sign their guests in at 11:00 p.m. at the residence hall’s front desk.

The cohabitation policy for residents is as follows: Students or guests will spend no more than three consecutive nights in any room/suite that is not their assigned room/suite. Once three consecutive nights have been reached, the student must spend three consecutive nights elsewhere before engaging in overnight (any time after midnight) visitation in the same room/suite that is not their assigned room/suite.

This policy remains subject to change at Spalding’s directive.  Students will receive 24 hours’ advance notice to their Spalding email address of any change made to this policy.

Winter Break and Summer residents may allow one guest at a time to visit campus housing.  Guests cannot stay the night more than three nights.  Adults older than 25-years old and children younger than 18-years old cannot stay the night in campus housing.


Students are prohibited from possessing firearms, ammunitions, and other items that may be used as a weapon. Students are permitted to carry pepper spray on their person to use in self-defense. Students are permitted to carry a pocket knife with a blade no longer than three-inches in length.